What type of detection system is right for my business?
A simple fire alarm isn’t enough to protect your business; but you need to consider the size and type of premises, and your individual circumstances. Our consultants will ensure that you get the right system for your needs, but the main elements that make up effective fire safety solutions include items such as:
Fire alarms – these come in a variety of styles, with varying capabilities. The main categories are:
- Conventional/basic – include detectors and call points across different zones/circuits, which correlate to different floors/areas
- Addressable system – similar to the above, but with more capabilities for accurate detection; so if a short circuit occurs, it will only shut down the zone it affects
- Analogue or intelligent addressable systems – the immediate environment of each zone is individually assessed by its own computer control unit, reducing false alarms
- Wireless systems – the system communicates via radio rather than cables, reducing the risk of compromised operation should cabling suffer damage
Fire extinguishers – there are several type of extinguisher, designed for different types of fire source:
- Dry powder
- Wet chemical
- Metal fires
Air sampling – these products monitor the air in order to detect other potentially dangerous hazards, such as gas, vapours and dust particles
Emergency lighting – fires or power cuts can lead to your main lighting services being lost. If this happens, your emergency lighting will start to operate, allowing your employees and visitors to evacuate the building quickly and safely.
Detection and Prevention – the benefits
- Save lives – an undetected or uncontrolled fire can lead to deaths, but a reliable system will hugely reduce that risk.
- Protect your property – fire damage to your property or loss of assets can seriously affect your business.
- Compliance – an approved system will ensure you’re legally compliant.
- Insurance – evidence of a professionally conducted risk assessment and installation of compliant fire detection systems generally results in reduced insurance costs.
- Accuracy – being able to identify exactly where the fire is.
- Integration – your safety system can be combined with other alarm and security measures.
- Comprehensive protection – you can add all kinds of extras, such as emergency lighting.
- Fast response – a monitored system will send out an alert to your local fire service.
Arrange your free survey
If you’re happy with your system but are seeking a new provider to take over its management and maintenance; we can help, no matter what system you have in place. Please call us today on 0113 281 2106 for a friendly, no-obligation chat.