UK fire extinguisher regulations and types of equipment
10,947 businesses have already chosen us, and we want you to choose us too – and we promise we won’t let you down.
As a small business, you have a legal responsibility to ensure that you’re completely compliant with current UK fire extinguisher regulations. By having the appropriate extinguishers and servicing packages, you’ll also be meeting your duty of care to staff and visitors, while mitigating associated health and safety risks and the potential for costly damage to your premises, inventory and machinery.
We promise that if you choose us as your fire extinguisher servicing partner or supplier, we’ll ensure you have the right type of equipment to meet UK fire extinguisher regulations – starting with this useful guide…
- Water extinguisher (red) – for wood, cloth, paper, coal, plastic and other organic material-based fires.
- Water spray extinguisher (with additive – red) – use as above but offer a much higher standard of firefighting capacity.
- Water mist extinguisher (red/white background) – covers A, B, C and F rated fire risks, with certain models also being capable of extinguishing electrical fires of up to 1000 volts when administered from 1m+ away from the source.
- Multi-purpose powder extinguisher (blue) – suitable for fires caused by gas, organic solids, grease, petrol, oil and paints, but must NOT be used on chip/fat pan fires.
- Special powders dry powder extinguisher (blue) – for lithium, magnesium, sodium and swarf/powder-form aluminium.
- AFFF foam extinguisher (cream) – liquids and solids except chip/fat pans, and electrical fires if dielectric tested and approved.